#1 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

Rufus performed a tribute to Billy Joel last night at the Kennedy Center Honors 2013. The event will be broadcast on CBS on December 29! Some of the reactions on twitter are quite enthusiastic. :)

Glenn Gamboa@ndmusic
@billyjoel tribute closed out #KennedyCenterHonors. Rufus Wainwright did "NY State of Mind" & "Piano Man." Don Henley did "She's Got a Way"

Cindy Clark Kramer@byCindyClark
Rufus Wainwright sings 'New York State of Mind' then -- what else -- 'Piano Man' for grand finale. Audience sings along, too. #KenCenHonors

Karen A. Szulgit@freedcnow
Just heard @rufuswainwright sing @billyjoel's "New York State of Mind" at the #KennedyCenterHonors Gala - WoW! Fabulous!

Elizabeth Pizzinato@duckandcake
Proud to see Rufus Wainwright end the tribute to Billy Joel @ the Kennedy Center Honors http://instagram.com/p/hr6-LaogSV/

Elizabeth Pizzinato@duckandcake 41m
Meeting Rufus Wainwright at the Kennedy Center Honors #thrilling http://instagram.com/p/hsDzs-ogeS/

Martina Arroyo, Herbie Hancock, Billy Joel, Shirley MacLaine & Carlos Santana
Will Receive 36th Annual Kennedy Center Honors

America to Celebrate the Careers of Five Extraordinary Artists Sunday, December 8, 2013

Gala will be broadcast on CBS on December 29, 2013 at 9:00-11:00 p.m., ET/PT
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts today announced the selection of the five individuals who will receive the 2013 Kennedy Center Honors. Recipients to be honored at the 36th annual national celebration of the arts are: opera singer Martina Arroyo; pianist, keyboardist, bandleader and composer Herbie Hancock; pianist, singer and songwriter Billy Joel; actress Shirley MacLaine; and musician and songwriter Carlos Santana.
"The Kennedy Center celebrates five extraordinary individuals who have spent their lives elevating the cultural vibrancy of our nation and the world," said Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein. "Martina Arroyo has dazzled the world with her glorious soprano voice and continues to share her artistry with a new generation of opera singers; Herbie Hancock has established himself as one of the most innovative musicians in the world, constantly breaking musical barriers and redefining the art of jazz; Billy Joel's melodies have provided the soundtrack of our lives for over four decades making him one pop music's most prolific and memorable singers and songwriters; the remarkable breadth and range of Shirley MacLaine's acting has left an indelible impression over a nearly 60-year career on stage and screen; from his legendary performance at Woodstock to his sweep at the 2000 Grammys and beyond, Carlos Santana's artistry transcends genres while entertaining millions."
The annual Honors Gala has become the highlight of the Washington cultural year, and its broadcast on CBS is a high point of the television season. On Sunday, December 8, in a star-studded celebration on the Kennedy Center Opera House stage, produced by George Stevens, Jr. and Michael Stevens, the 2013 Honorees will be saluted by great performers from New York, Hollywood, and the arts capitals of the world. Seated with the President of the United States and Mrs. Obama, the Honorees will accept the thanks of their peers through performances and tributes.
The President and Mrs. Obama will receive the Honorees and members of the Artists Committee who nominate them, along with the Kennedy Center Board of Trustees at the White House prior to the gala performance. The 2013 Kennedy Center Honors Gala concludes with a supper dance in the Grand Foyer.
The Kennedy Center Honors medallions will be presented on Saturday, December 7, the night before the gala, at a State Department dinner hosted by Secretary of State John Kerry.
The Honors Gala will be recorded for broadcast on the CBS Network for the 36th consecutive year as a two-hour primetime special on Sunday, December 29 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT).
Under the leadership of George Stevens, Jr. and his Honors producing partner, Michael Stevens, the broadcast of the Kennedy Center Honors has received four consecutive Emmy Awards for Outstanding Television Special. The Honors telecast has also been recognized with the Peabody Award and seven awards from the Writers Guild of America. Between them, the Stevenses have received 22 Emmys and 53 nominations for their work in television. Nick Vanoff was co-creator of the Honors with George Stevens, Jr. in 1978.
The Boeing Company is the exclusive underwriter of the 2013 Kennedy Center Honors Gala Luncheon and post-gala supper dance in the Grand Foyer.
Delta Air Lines, the official airline of the Kennedy Center Honors television broadcast, will provide transportation for the performers and television crew that will be coming to Washington for the Honors Gala.
The Honors recipients recognized for their lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts—whether in music, dance, theater, opera, motion pictures, or television—are selected by the Executive Committee of the Center's Board of Trustees. The primary criterion in the selection process is excellence. The Honors are not designated by art form or category of artistic achievement; the selection process, over the years, has produced balance among the various arts and artistic disciplines.
This year, a revised Honoree selection process included expanded solicitation of recommendations from the general public and an advisory committee comprised of artists, past Honorees and Kennedy Center board members. Previous Honors recipients and members of the Center's national artists committee, including Emanuel Ax, Alec Baldwin, Harry Belafonte, Joshua Bell, Glenn Close, Christoph Eschenbach, Renée Fleming, Morgan Freeman, Paloma Herrera, Lang Lang, Steve Martin, Leontyne Price, Chita Rivera, Arturo Sandoval, Steven Spielberg and Forest Whitaker also made recommendations.
Kennedy Center President Michael M. Kaiser expressed the Center's continued gratitude to the many individuals involved in the success of the Honors program. "In addition to recognizing some of the world's most treasured artists, the Kennedy Center Honors supports a wide variety of artistic programming, as well as the Center's educational and national outreach efforts."

http://www.kennedy-c...levents/honors/
Posted Image

#2 Nippy Sweetie

Nippy Sweetie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Diva.

Billy Joel is the only other "popular" performer I've seen in concert - it was a long time between that show (about 1985) and Rufus last year. I do sometimes hear echoes of Billy Joel in a couple of Rufus songs and performances. I think he'd do a lovely "NY State of Mind" & "Piano Man."
Celui qui chante n'est pas toujours heureux (Pierre Bonnard)

#3 Lys

Lys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, just read the tweets this morning! Can't wait to see Piano man and NY state of mind, by Rufus!! Two of my favorite all time songs. Just hope he'll do them justice (hard to top Billy!) but I'm sure he will - and according to the reactions, he did a great job.
"My name is Rufus Wainwright and I am in a band called The Crickets" (Venice, july 2012)

#4 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Same here, I love these songs and can't wait to hear Rufus' performance. I have never seen Billy Joel live but there is a kind of connection to my hometown, his half-brother Alexander Joel is the musical director of our opera house. :)
Posted Image

#5 Gershwin

Gershwin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hope somebody records/captures this as i doubt it will be shown in the UK.
----------------------------------------------

Staff meeting at 11.15

#6 Lady112

Lady112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • LocationRufus hometown

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

When Rufus met Harry (photos by Jörn )

Can somebody with tech skills put here Rufus in toxedo and Jörn - Puccini ?
http://www.mcgarrigl...-harry#comments

Rufus and Harry Belafonte backstage at the 2013 Kennedy Center Honours Gala, Sunday Dec 8. Rufus was there to interpret 2 songs by Billy Joel who was being honoured and Harry Bellafonte
. My mission is to record my first opera "Prima Donna." Join me on our journey to accomplish this goal.
- Rufus W.

#7 Lys

Lys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

tweet with pic from the night
https://twitter.com/...6313217/photo/1
"My name is Rufus Wainwright and I am in a band called The Crickets" (Venice, july 2012)

#8 Nippy Sweetie

Nippy Sweetie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostLys, on 10 December 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

tweet with pic from the night
https://twitter.com/...6313217/photo/1

I'd assumed he'd be at the piano. I guess there's a band then?

#9 Sylviah

Sylviah

Faithful Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Some photos also here: http://www.rufuswain...otogallery.html

Yours, Sylvia

"Rufus is forever, honey." - RW

Posted Image

#10 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostLady112, on 10 December 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

When Rufus met Harry (photos by Jörn )

Can somebody with tech skills put here Rufus in toxedo and Jörn - Puccini ?
http://www.mcgarrigl...-harry#comments

Rufus and Harry Belafonte backstage at the 2013 Kennedy Center Honours Gala, Sunday Dec 8. Rufus was there to interpret 2 songs by Billy Joel who was being honoured and Harry Bellafonte

This one?
Posted Image

When Rufus met Harry :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 musiclover1977

musiclover1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postdiva, on 10 December 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

This one?
Posted Image

When Rufus met Harry :D
Posted Image

Great pics! Love Jorn's wet-look! :lol:

#12 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

One more
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Lys

Lys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

*snort*
It’s also the only real chance for the honorees to thank the performers. As he walked into the dinner, Joel stopped to shake hands with Wolf Blitzer, then exchanged shop talk (B or B flat?) with Rufus Wainwright, who ended Joel’s tribute with “New York State of Mind” and “Piano Man.”
What was it like to close the show, we asked Wainwright? “It was like being on the high dive at the Olympics and someone on the sidelines has a gun,” he told us. “And if you don’t do it perfectly, you die.” Oh, and he wants Sheila E., who tore it up in the Santana tribute, “to have my next baby.”
http://www.washingto...rs-after-party/

#14 Lady112

Lady112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • LocationRufus hometown

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Diva but I wished for all the photos to be here :-) no problem they are on the photo gallery now.

But here we have something with in we could maybe see and her the Rufus performance of the two songs :

Make sure you tune into CBS on December 29 at 9 pm, when they will broadcast a two-hour special of highlights from the ceremony. Don't miss it!

Hope somebody can record it or some YouTube excerpts will appear out of the blue :-)
. My mission is to record my first opera "Prima Donna." Join me on our journey to accomplish this goal.
- Rufus W.

#15 Lady112

Lady112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • LocationRufus hometown

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

Jōrn's recap of the weekend :-)

The Kennedy Center Honors
Join our AD Jorn and his husband Rufus as they spend an incredible star-studded weekend in Washington.

I am hung over. Not really physically but emotionally. I spent the weekend in Washington attending The Kennedy Center Honors with my husband. No, he didn't get the Honor, not yet. He performed for one of the honorees: Billy Joel. If there was a more powerful and more glamorous assembly of people anywhere this past weekend, it must have been on a different planet out there in the universe. Saturday evening we went to the State Department for what I guess they would call an intimate sit down dinner for 200 hosted by John Kerry. I always liked Kerry and the speech about the necessity of the arts that he gave was truly inspiring and made me like him even more. Opera singer Jessye Norman honored the great Latino soprano Martina Arroyo. To hear Jessye Norman speak makes you almost forget that she is an even more amazing singer than speaker. Her voice surrounds the words like liquid caramel melting onto ice cream. Garth Brooks, who sat at our table, basically had a coming out in confessing his love for Billy Joel. Tony Bennett and his lovely entourage were at our table as well. If there is one more dignified performer and artist, I have yet to meet him.

The next morning there was a brunch for all the honorees, performers and extended families. The line up to the buffet was epic which was nice to see: in NY people probably would not have eaten anything. The plates were small so we, like Glenn Close, took two plates and loaded them full of food. We stuck with Glenn and her husband and sat down at one of the empty tables overlooking the lovely skyscraper-less skyline of Washington.

Rufus had to go to rehearsal so I went to the gym. Christine Ebersole dropped in and went to the sauna.

At 4PM, we were picked up by our lovely driver Pat and taken to the White House. The weather was terrible: there was snow and rain and ice on the pavement. I guess there were times when carriages pulled up in front of the White House, but these days you are dropped off at what feels like 5 miles away and have to hike along fenced paths through multiple checkpoints, one of which includes being sniffed by a German Shepherd. For what I wonder. Finally we got inside, the White House for Christmas. They do have some decorations. The funniest one to me was a supersized winter scene with the two Portugese Waterdogs, Bo and whatever the new ones name is.

What is really beautiful about the White House is that it actually is a really nice house. It feels like one could live there. And yes, we did meet the one that actually lives there and shook his hand. After his speech honouring the five honourees, Billy Joel, Carlos Santana, Martina Arroyo, Herbie Hancock (who we had at Luminato last year in our Joni tribute), and Shirley MacLaine. There was a receiving line, and once you check in at the White House you get a card with your names on it and your spot in the receiving line.

We actually sort of missed the cue for that one and were standing way, way in the back when some gorgeous lady from the White House came, grabbed Rufus and me and slotted us in just ahead of a bewildered Kathy Bates only a few handshakes away from Barack and Michelle (it seems more appropriate to address them by their first names than with Mr. and Mrs. President). You give a handsome officer your card, they read out your name and then a photo will be sent to your home. As Kathy Bates said when I said I was surprised by this kind of service: ‘Honey, that's what you pay your taxes for’.

Back at the Kennedy Center the show was about to start. Rufus sat with me in the first half then went backstage as he was on in the second part. Actually he was not only on somewhere in the second part but he was the absolute last number of the evening, which as the evening progressed somehow seemed to become more and more daunting. I couldn’t help wondering “how will he pull this off” with Jessye Norman, Harry Belafonte, Christine Ebersole, Denyse Graves, all the honorees, the President and First Lady, Tout Washington all in the audience. Or Tony Bennett, Snoop Dogg, Bill O'Reilly (well, he is scary but not as a performer who might out shadow you), Sondra Radonovsky, Don Henley, Kathy Bates, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea all performing before him. Then Garth Brooks sang a chorus from "Goodnight Saigon" with a group of Vietnam Veterans right before Rufus went on stage to sing the very intimate "New York State of Mind” and "Piano Man".

People thought the show was over after the veterans and then someone brought a microphone on the stage. Then on came Rufus and nailed those two songs. Tears were trickling down Billy Joel's face and the audience rose to an instant standing ovation afterwards. I know I should not really talk so much about my husband, but I cannot hide how proud I was of him and how he managed to pull all that huge patriotic energy before he went on stage, back to something very personal, fragile and intimate, but just as powerful.

There was a less intimate dinner for about 1500 people afterwards in the lobby of the Kennedy Center. We took a lot of pictures for the family album. Kathy Bates came up and forgave us for pushing in in front of her at the White House receiving line while gushing over Rufus' performance. Jessye Norman and Martina Arroyo shared their email addresses with us.

Back at the hotel there was an after party on the top floor. It was pretty amazing how many people stayed until the early morning hours, something that Americans are usually not inclined to do. It seems that the Kennedy Center Honors and the White House Correspondent’s dinner are really the two top events in the Washington social calendar. What is interesting about Washington is that it manages to stir up the same kind of glamour as Hollywood but it does it with politics, and in this instance, also with culture. At least for that weekend, culture is what the heartbeat of America was. Today it is back to the the deficit, the NSA, Detroit, or the success or failure of Obamacare.

And for those who have not had enough yet by just reading this, CBS is broadcasting the concert on December 29th. It is an evening that showed how powerful and essential culture is in shaping who we are as a society.

Details
Published: aujourd'hui
Author: Jörn Weisbrodt
Comments:
Word Count: 1 133

- Rufus W.

#16 Jazzy~Cajun

Jazzy~Cajun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

I had dinner tonight with a friend whose husband has worked with Billy Joel for many years, and he was one of Billy's guests in attendance at the Kennedy Center Honors gala on Sunday. He called her afterwards with some details and said that Billy was so deeply moved by the tribute.

Billy Joel has always been a favorite of mine and certainly deserves the honor. One day I hope that Rufus also will receive the recognition he so richly deserves for his body of work. Meanwhile, I can't wait until the 29th to hear his rendition of Piano Man and New York State of Mind.
~~Jazzy~~

Laissez les bon temps rouler

#17 Joy67

Joy67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Postdiva, on 10 December 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

One more
Posted Image

Looks like a selfie!

They look amazing :wub:
"That's the license to being an artist. License to cry"

#18 Nippy Sweetie

Nippy Sweetie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

I was showing H.Sweetie the photo of Rufus with John Kerry (http://www.rufuswain...otogallery.html) - he said he though Kerry would be taller. Well that's because he doesn't realise how tall Rufus is, because usually he's next to Jörn!

So, can someone confirm how tall Rufus is (and also Jörn)?

#19 Runa

Runa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

B) Let me see, Rufus' height is quite comfortable to hug, just like my brother. So I assume that he is 1,78 m tall.

#20 Angelawera

Angelawera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostRuna, on 11 December 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

B) Let me see, Rufus' height is quite comfortable to hug, just like my brother. So I assume that he is 1,78 m tall.

Rufus: 1,80 official, I mean.....
Jörn: 1,85 .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users