#1 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Probably not an event that any of us is able to attend (?) but I still thought it belongs in the live section of this board.

Rufus will appear at the San Remo Festival 2014

Rufus WainWright sarà l’ospite internazionale della seconda serata del Festival di Sanremo. Famoso per il suo ‘pop raffinato’, Wainwright è stato definito da Elton John come ‘il più grande songwriter sul pianeta’, anche per il particolare suono che spazia dal folk al rock, passando dall’opera lirica, dalla canzone d’autore, dal musical e anche dal jazz.
Originario di Rhineback, New York, figlio di due cantanti folk, WainWright ha la doppia cittadinanza canadese e statunitense. Comincia a suonare il pianoforte all’età di sei anni e a tredici è già in tour con la sorella Martha, la madre Kate e la zia Anna, con il nome ‘McGarrigle Sister and Family’.
Ha pubblicato sette album, vinto due Juno Awards e ricevuto diverse nomination ai Genie Awards, Brit Awards e Grammy Awards. Ha collaborato con i più grandi artisti della scena internazionale tra cui Robbie Williams, Elton John, Lou Reed, Shirley Bassey, Antony, David Byrne, Joni Mithchell, Boy George, Robert Wilson e Mark Ronson. Ha partecipato con le sue canzoni alle colonne sonore di alcuni film campioni d’incasso, tra cui Shrek, The Aviator, Brokeback Mountain, Moulin Rouge, Mi Chiamo Sam, Juno e Zoolander.- See more at: http://sanremo.blog....h.QyYDVctD.dpuf
Posted Image

#2 Lady112

Lady112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  • LocationRufus hometown

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

Hum.... I just found that San Remo is in the vicinity of Nice and Monaco. So.... I think I know someone who will attend this show. :-)
. My mission is to record my first opera "Prima Donna." Join me on our journey to accomplish this goal.
- Rufus W.

#3 Domino

Domino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostLady112, on 07 February 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Hum.... I just found that San Remo is in the vicinity of Nice and Monaco. So.... I think I know someone who will attend this show. :-)
Lady, sorry to say that I won't be there - I guess you are thinking of me. If I had more notice and it was not on a weekday..... but it is not to be this time.
"Rufus Wainwright taught me how to sparkle"

#4 Lady112

Lady112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  • LocationRufus hometown

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Well... I was thinking to a couple of persons that i know who are living in the vicinity...Prince Albert of Monaco ... Jacques Villeneuve..and you. :-)

Oh, my dear, I'm so sorry you can't make it. :-( Mister Minou and I are very sad.
. My mission is to record my first opera "Prima Donna." Join me on our journey to accomplish this goal.
- Rufus W.

#5 Montauk

Montauk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationUnder the peach threes.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

"I'm basically Liberace"

#6 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

San Remo is on my list of places I want to visit one day.

Meanwhile, some more infor on Rufus' appearance has bee nposted on the news page:

"We are pleased to announce that Rufus will be appearing at the famous Festival di Sanremo in Italy on February 19. He will perform "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" and "Across the Universe" with their renowned orchestra. The festival runs February 18 to 22 and will be broadcast live each night on RAI Italia TV from 9 pm CET, Rufus will be on the second night, February 19."

I hope this will be available to watch online.

An appearance at this renowned festival, broadcast live on television is a great opportunity for Rufus to promote his songs. :)
Posted Image

#7 Nippy Sweetie

Nippy Sweetie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

Also San Remo (near Melbourne, Australia)

Posted Image

Celui qui chante n'est pas toujours heureux (Pierre Bonnard)

#8 Lys

Lys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

The line up is pretty incredible. To the bill, DAMIEN RICE is added, as well as Cat Stevens (If it were Sufjan Stevens, I'd literally would give my arm to be there, these 3 men are my heaven) and Paolo Nutini!
"My name is Rufus Wainwright and I am in a band called The Crickets" (Venice, july 2012)

#9 Lys

Lys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hmmm the participation of Rufus in San Remo is causing a little discomfort in Italy :)
https://www.facebook...&type=1
"My name is Rufus Wainwright and I am in a band called The Crickets" (Venice, july 2012)

#10 Lys

Lys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

More and more tweets & blogs about " Satanist" Rufus...

http://linkis.com/wp.me/jqeKm
http://dongabrieleam...ismo-a-sanremo/

Oh come on....I'm sure some people would call these reactions 'hypocrit'...

#11 musiclover1977

musiclover1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

It is really scary to read this dumb comments of this dumb people.

I hope it will be enough security for him in San Remo!

Is it not better to send this comments to his management?
Rufus is a survivor and he wants to live and grow. I know that deep in my heart- Kate Mcgarrigle

#12 Jazzy~Cajun

Jazzy~Cajun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostLys, on 13 February 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Hmmm the participation of Rufus in San Remo is causing a little discomfort in Italy :)
https://www.facebook...&type=1

I'm a Catholic, although no longer attend church regularly, and can understand the reaction in Italy. Rufus may have a hard time in San Remo if a campaign is waged against his having depicted the crucifixion in his stage act. It's a different day and time from long ago, but the Italians still take their Catholicism very seriously. Even though I consider myself very open minded, I was a bit taken aback when I first saw the photos of Rufus on the cross although it certainly wasn't enough to prevent me from loving his music and him! :)

Wish I could read and understand the comments being made against him.
~~Jazzy~~

Laissez les bon temps rouler

#13 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostJazzy~Cajun, on 13 February 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Wish I could read and understand the comments being made against him.

Most of the comments are just plain stupid, but some of them are downright nasty and hatefull. They are basically accusing him of blasphemy and even of satanism. My initial reaction was to ignore them because I thought they don't deserve attention, but one of the comments that suggested "just one shot in the head to end your useless life" made me feel so sick in my stomach that I decided to report the whole thing on facebook for violating their terms and conditions. It's one thing to ignore some idiots but I can't tolerate hate speech.

Some other comments on the blog posts suggest to boycott San Remo Festival because they invited Rufus and/or to write to RAI to protest against his appearance at the festival. All this makes me so angry and sad. I was delighted when I first heard that he got an invitation to San Remo but now I just hope everything goes well and he does not have a hard time there. Maybe I should not worrry, I suppose the audience in San Remo and of course the festival people who invited him are open minded and will appreciate his music.
Posted Image

#14 seagull

seagull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationSicily

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Oh so sad for Ruf :( Silly fellow countrypeople of mine! :angry: But not all Italians are like that, fortunately. Those who wrote these silly hateful comments are just the sordid part of this country. Fabio Fazio, the man who's been directing the San Remo Festival the last 3 years, is criticized by many for his modern and unconventional ideas and tastes. Well, I'd say, the Italian televison is just crap, so welcome Fabio Fazio for being one in a million trying to improve and bring some emancipation and GOOD MUSIC to the Italian TV! Last year he invited Antony And The Johnsons (a dear friend of Rufus) to the San Remo festival. Another great gay man (Antony is an angel to me)... But I heard no polemic about it. Hope Ruf will be appreciated by the little but alive good part of Italy. Oh, and I'm sure the Catania gig would have really been sold out after his San Remo attendance, making him more popular for sure. Oh well... By the way, the San Remo Festival is World Vision, it will be broadcast on TV live all over the world from Feb 18 to Feb 22. Ruf is next Wednesday (Feb 19), don't miss him! I'm so excited, it's his first appearance on Italian TV! :wub:
Posted Image
I may not lead the most dramatic life, but in my brain it's "War and Peace" every day

#15 Jazzy~Cajun

Jazzy~Cajun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, Diva, for filling me in on what is being said against Rufus. I'm so glad you reported the "shot in the head" comment to FB. That definitely is in violation of their rules, terms and conditions and they should take action on it. I hope that the festival is filled with open minded people there to experience wonderful music. If they give a listen to him, they'll certainly appreciate his talent. Do you know if any boardies will be attending to support him? Let's hope security is tight and the hate mongers don't plan a protest to disrupt his set.
~~Jazzy~~

#16 Jazzy~Cajun

Jazzy~Cajun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Seagull, thanks for your comments. Will you be attending San Remo? What a beautiful backdrop it must be for the festival. I need to find out if the World Vision broadcast you mentioned will be available in my area of the U.S. I'd love to be able to experience the entire festival and, more importantly, Rufus' appearance in the comfort of my living room!
~~Jazzy~~

#17 seagull

seagull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationSicily

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I won't attend it. It's very far from my area, just another part of Italy, and I'm not a San Remo fan actually. The San Remo festival is a competition among Italian singers, not my kind of music...though it can be interesting to watch on TV, to find out if some new talented artist pops up. It takes place every year in February for 4 nights, and each night some special guests (usually coming from outside Italy) are invited. That's the best part of the show. So it will be Rufus' turn this year :))) I can't easily travel at the moment, but if I should be able to travel, I'd do for an entire Rufus gig, not for San Remo, which I can comfortably watch on TV, choosing to watch just the parts that most interest me. I guess all US can watch it. By the way Jazzy, if you're able to watch it, San Remo starts at about 9 pm in Italy, so considering the time zone, it will be in early afternoon or late morning for you, depending of the area you live in. The time zone Italy-New York is 6 hours. 6 am in the US is noon in Italy. The San Remo audience is always miscellaneous, many are very traditionalists, others are open to innovations and newness. And Rufus is surely a newness at San Remo! So...I guess he will get both praises and disapprovals...but oh well, humankind is so various... Let's just hope our Rufus wil get to the hearts of those who are able to understand his magnificence. We're with you Ruf :wub:
Posted Image
I may not lead the most dramatic life, but in my brain it's "War and Peace" every day

#18 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thank you for the additional info about the festival, Seagull!

I had a look through a few Italian TV guides at the newsstand today, and they all mentioned Rufus as "special guest." :)

And to counterbalance the nasty comments on some blogs, here is a nice example of positive posts on twitter in support of Rufus:

@Orpheus__77: Cattolici e papaboys che si scandalizzano per l'apparizione di Rufus Wainwright a Sanremo..
Dir solo questo: #WeLoveRufus @rufuswainwright

Posted Image

#19 Lady112

Lady112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  • LocationRufus hometown

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Si. È vero. Amiamo Roufous. :-)
- Rufus W.

#20 diva

diva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

I am still quite astonished that his guest appearance caused such a stir. After all, it is not the first time that he is playing in Italy, but probably the first time he is on prime time television.

Fortunately, there are more and more comments in support of Rufus coming in.

http://nemorock-in-p...-gay-a-sanremo/

"Lunga vita artistica e liberta per Rufus!"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users